A C T I V E Networking that works...!

Welcome to friendsofgeorge - Networking at its best....!
Saturday, September 21 2019 @ 07:23 am UTC

Email Article To a Friend View Printable Version

LAUDA WOULD HAVE TAKEN HIS HAT OFF FOR THAT, SAYS VICTORIOUS HAMILTON

- GLOBAL NEWS

Lewis Hamilton stands on the podium after beating Max Verstappen

MOTORING NEWS - Lewis Hamilton converted strategic brilliance into an exhilarating victory for Mercedes in Sunday's Hungarian Grand Prix and said it was a triumph that would have delighted the late Niki Lauda.

Seven days after leaving Germany with a sore throat after his worst performance for the team, the championship leader bounced back to his best.

"Hats off to the team," said Hamilton after the 81st win of his career and his record seventh in Hungary. "I think that if Niki was here now he would take his hat off."

The former non-executive chairman of the Mercedes team Lauda always wore a scar-covering red baseball cap that he would doff to the team whenever they achieved a great success.

On Sunday, Hamilton was in second place behind Max Verstappen of Red Bull who, apart from few laps around the pitstops, had led from his maiden pole position until the final three laps.

Then the team made a key strategic decision.

So ragged and overwhelmed at Hockenheim just a week earlier, Hamilton and Mercedes made a gamble when they pitted unexpectedly for a second time with 20 laps remaining leaving the defending five-time champion to charge down a 20 seconds deficit on fresher and faster medium-compound tyres.

"Honestly, we'd had brake problems all weekend and I was a bit worried," said Hamilton after a stirring triumph that has lifted 62 points clear of team-mate Valtteri Bottas in the championship with Verstappen third.

"I was actually doing a lot of coasting and not touching the brake for half the lap. I was just trying to save as much as I could.

"It was very difficult to get by. Their defence was great. They're quite quick on the straights. I honestly didn't know if I could catch that 19-second gap, as it's big.

"But, like the team said, 'just get your head down and keep pushing'’ which I did."

Hamilton was full of praise for his team.

A week on from their rain-swept and desultory exit from a near-disastrous German Grand Prix, they had clearly responded with a smart strategy, slick tactics and pitstops.

"I feel really grateful for the day and for the team who continue to believe in me. To take a risk, to take a chance on me," said a clearly emotional Hamilton, having responded to days of speculation that Verstappen was poised to take over as the leading driver in the sport.

"We've been together seven years and it never gets old. It feels like a new win for us all."

Two-time champion Fernando Alonso, once his partner at McLaren, was thrilled by the race and used Twitter to convey his congratulations to both Hamilton and Verstappen.

"Bravo," he said. "Both impressive -– thanks for the show."

Verstappen conceded defeat gracefully.

"Today we didn't win, but it was a good day and a good weekend for us," he said.

"Congratulations to Lewis. He was pushing me really hard. I like that and it's still a good weekend for us. Second is OK and means a good haul of points.

"We were just lacking a bit of grip. We tried a one-stop and they had the opportunity for two and that worked out well for them."

_____________________________________________________________________end____

SWINE FLU – WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

- GLOBAL NEWS
Fears of a full-scale swine flu outbreak in South Africa are unfounded as only isolated cases of H1N1 virus infection have been reported in humans in the country in 2019.

Generic image
LIFESTYLE NEWS - The death of a young boy with swine flu symptoms in Krugersdorp led to fears of an outbreak across the country, but his death was caused by pneumonia, reported The South African.

A particularly virulent strain of flu is doing the rounds in South Africa, which sparked fears that the swine flu that killed several people in 2009 had returned.

The MEC for Health in KwaZulu-Natal, Nomagugu Simelane-Zulu, said there is no swine flu outbreak, after the H1N1 virus claimed the life of a nine-year-old girl in Pietermaritzburg on Friday, 19 July 2019.

The death of a young boy with swine flu symptoms in Krugersdorp led to fears of an outbreak across the country, but his death was caused by pneumonia, reported The South African.

A particularly virulent strain of flu is doing the rounds in South Africa, which sparked fears that the swine flu that killed several people in 2009 had returned.

The MEC for Health in KwaZulu-Natal, Nomagugu Simelane-Zulu, said there is no swine flu outbreak, after the H1N1 virus claimed the life of a nine-year-old girl in Pietermaritzburg on Friday, 19 July 2019.

Simelane-Zulu said this “does not constitute an outbreak”. She said the H1N1 virus “is now a seasonal influenza virus that becomes prevalent in winter and co-circulates with other seasonal viruses and it is thus being treated as normal flu”.

“We have issued a notice to health facilities across the province to ensure that they are on the lookout for severe types of influenza, and treat them with urgency. If influenza is treated on time and treated correctly, it need not have any devastating results,” Simelane-Zulu said.

Isolated reports of swine flu diagnosis began to surface in May when a child at Kontiki Pre-Primary School in Bloemfontein was diagnosed with the H1N1 virus.

What are the signs and symptoms?
read more>>>>

SHE'S THE WORLD'S PRETTIEST WOMAN (FOR THE 5TH TIME)

- GLOBAL NEWS

Julia Roberts has been named the 'World's Most Beautiful Woman for 2017'

ENTERTAINMENT NEWS - Julia Roberts has been named the 'World's Most Beautiful Woman' for 2017

The 49-year-old actress is "very flattered" to have picked up People magazine's annual accolade for the fifth time, and joked she'll be bragging to her good friend George Clooney, a double winner of the publication's 'Sexiest Man Alive' title.

She said: "I am very flattered. I'm going to mention that in my Christmas card to the Clooneys this year."

Despite her beauty, the Eat Pray Love star claims she felt "awkward" in her early years

Julia - who has children Hazel and Phinnaeus, 12, and Henry, nine, with husband Danny Moder - first scooped the title in 1991 when she was 23 years old, a year after she shot to fame in Pretty Woman.

Looking back, the actress admits she had no idea how much the film would change her life.

She said: "People say, 'Oh, when Pretty Woman came out it must have really changed your life,' and it's kind of become this joke, but the truth is I was out of town when Pretty Woman came out.

"I was in another movie in this tiny little town that was showing Star Wars in its first run. I remember reading ... ''Pretty Woman came out this weekend and made this much money" and I thought, 'Is that a lot of money? Is that good? Is that great?' I didn't really know."

These days, the actress couldn't be happier with her personal life

She gushed: "I mean every day my husband walks in the door it's like a recurring dream. I'm like, 'Ah, he's back!' "

____________________________________________________________________end________

FORD SAYS TO SLASH 12,000 JOBS IN ALL ACROSS EUROPE

- GLOBAL NEWS

It's the first time Ford publicly put a figure on job losses.

MOTORING NEWS - US carmaker Ford said Thursday that it plans to slash a total of 12,000 jobs across Europe as part of a previously announced restructuring.

The overall figure includes 5,400 layoffs already announced in Germany and 1,700 in Wales.

The move comes as the company closes or sells six plants in Britain, France, Russia and Slovakia this year and next.

The job cuts will come "primarily through voluntary separation programmes", said Ford, which employs around 51,000 people and operates 24 factories around Europe.

As well as the factory closure in Wales, three sites in Russia, one in Slovakia and one in France will be shuttered.

Thursday is the first time Ford has publicly stated the jobs impact of its plans.

Group chief executive Jim Hackett announced last autumn a massive restructuring of the American firm, aiming to save $11 billion and turn Ford into a more "agile" group with faster decision-making processes.

The company aims to catch up with the world leaders in the industry's transformation towards autonomous and electric-powered driving, as well as services like car-sharing and ride-sharing.

Ford says that "financial results in Europe are on track to significantly improve for full year 2019", adding that in future it will refocus on electric mobility.

Its European operations will be reorganised into three divisions: commercial vehicles, passenger vehicles, and imports.

"This could be the first step towards a complete or partial sale" of Ford's car business in Europe, industry expert Ferdinand Dudenhoeffer of the University of Duisburg-Essen's CAR institute told AFP.

____________________________________________________________________end___

TRUMP WARNS CHINA NOT TO RETALIATE AGAINST US TRADE TARIFFS

- GLOBAL NEWS

President Donald Trump has warned that companies will leave China if a trade deal with the US is not reached.

INTERNATIONAL NEWS - President Donald Trump on Monday warned China not to retaliate after Washington raised punitive duties on $200 billion worth of Chinese imports to 25 percent from 10 percent.

"China should not retaliate-will only get worse!" Trump wrote in a flurry of tweets on trade.

The tariffs were imposed on Friday after two days of talks to resolve the US-China trade battle ended with no deal, however negotiations will continue.

Trump also addressed Chinese President Xi Jinping and warned that companies would leave China if a trade deal was not reached.

"I say openly to President Xi & all of my many friends in China that China will be hurt very badly if you don't make a deal because companies will be forced to leave China for other countries."

"Too expensive to buy in China. You had a great deal, almost completed, & you backed out!" Trump tweeted.

In Trump's view, "Tariffed companies will be leaving China for Vietnam and other such countries in Asia. That's why China wants to make a deal so badly! ... There will be nobody left in China to do business with. Very bad for China, very good for USA!

"But China has taken so advantage of the U.S. for so many years, that they are way ahead (Our Presidents did not do the job)."

Research shows that Americans will bear the brunt of the impact from the tariffs, as the levies are paid by importers and ultimately passed on at least partially to consumers.

Global markets remain on red alert over a trade war between the two superpowers that most observers warn could shatter global economic growth, and hurt demand for commodities like oil.

_______________________________________________________________________end____

GERMANY'S BOSCH POWERS UP HYDROGEN CELLS FOR CARS

- GLOBAL NEWS

Germany's Bosch powers up hydrogen cells for cars

Hydrogen fuel stations are still are rare sight across Germany.
INTERNATIONAL NEWS - The world's biggest auto parts maker Bosch said Monday it would work with a Swedish firm to develop key components for hydrogen fuel cells designed to power cars, after backing off building electric batteries.

Stuttgart-based Bosch and Powercell Sweden AB - formerly a subsidiary of carmaker Volvo - aim to bring the fuel cells to market "in 2022 at the latest".

Hydrogen-powered electric vehicles could prove winners compared with their battery-driven cousins for some applications.

They offer a longer range and can be refuelled about as quickly as a petrol- or diesel-powered vehicle.

At the same time, hydrogen cars boast some of the advantages of battery-electric, including powerful acceleration, silent operation and no emissions at the point of use except water vapour.

But a number of technological hurdles remain to be cleared before mass deployment.

Large amounts of electricity are required to produce hydrogen, and there is a very limited network of fuelling stations.

Just sixty refuelling points are available across Germany.

Bosch did not reveal the financial terms of its deal with Powercell Sweden, but the two firms will work together to develop the so-called "stack" - components at the heart of the cell where the chemical reaction between hydrogen and oxygen takes place to produce electricity.

The group last year decided not to compete with existing Asian industry leaders in producing electric batteries for cars, seeing the rivals' technological advantage as too great to catch up.

By doing so, it turned away from supplying German carmakers like mammoth Volkswagen as they gear up to offer dozens of electric vehicles over the coming decade.

Manufacturers have taken the plunge on electric power faced with looming tougher emissions rules in the European Union, loaded with hefty financial penalties if they are breached.

European carbon dioxide (CO2) reduction targets "can only be reached by electrifying more and more of the powertrain. The fuel cell can play a decisive role here," Bosch said.

At first, "the best opportunities for broad adoption of fuel-cell technology are in the commercial-vehicle market," the firm added, although it expects broader use in passenger cars should follow.

By 2030, Bosch estimates that 20 percent of all electric vehicles worldwide will be powered by fuel cells.

__________________________________________________________________________end___

THE ROYAL RACE WITH PRINCESS CHARLENE OF MONACO

- GLOBAL NEWS
‘Charity starts at home – and this is my home. What you learn along the way is what you can pass on, in every area,’ she says.

Princess Charlene of Monaco at Turffontein racecourse, 9 April during the draw for the HSH Maiden Plate which will take place at Turffontein on Saturday. Photo: Neil McCartney
NATIONAL NEWS - Back when she was still known as Charlene Wittstock, Princess of Monaco, Her Serene Highness Charlene, already knew what race day meant.

“My father has always been involved with horseracing and has been very passionate about it ever since I was born,” the former Olymic swimmer said yesterday at Turffontein Racecourse in Johannesburg.

“I always went to the racetrack with my father, walk in the stables, be close to the horses. The horses are athletes themselves so it was always interesting to see how the horses were trained, and the attention paid to them.”

The Princess of Monaco is in Johannesburg for The Royal Race Day, a racing event that ensures Gugulesizwe and Lesabe primary schools in Benoni each receive R50,000.

After spending a few weeks in South Africa this year with her family, Princess Charlene seems reinvigorated to continue charitable work in the country.

“Charity starts at home – and this is my home. I always felt proud to represent the country [as an athlete]. What you learn along the way is what you can pass on, in every area,” she says.

That’s exactly what has led her to establish Princess Charlene of Monaco Foundation in South Africa a few years ago.

Programmes run by the foundation are aimed at water safety and education. “We started with the message that we need to pay attention to children around any aquatic facility … 150,000 people drown every year,” she says. “We’re in a climate where people enjoy being outdoors, and we want to feel safe that our children know what to do and the swimming and water safety is important.”

The foundation also works with many other organisations and government.

“Implementing it means working with city councils, working with town councils or individuals or the swimming school on the corner, just to get that education out there.”

But Princess Charlene is also focused on natural heritage.

“My love for animals started at an early age and certainly now, we have problems where some animals face extinction, we could lose entire species,” she says. “I know that I have a platform not just for helping people and educating children but also conserving and preserving our nature – every animal counts.”

But this week all attention is on equines and another successful The Royal Race Day.

After a busy day where she had to draw the final fields for the day, Princess Charlene had a single-word answer to the one South African thing she would like accessible globally – “biltong”.
__________________________________________________________________end_________

STRAY PUP EMERGES TOP DOG IN ELITE INDIAN SNIFFER SQUAD

- GLOBAL NEWSStray pup emerges top dog in elite Indian sniffer squad

Asha, a rescued stray-turned-sniffer dog, is put through her paces at the West Bengal training school.
INTERNATIONAL NEWS - Some 18 months after been rescued from stone-throwing children, an Indian street mutt has emerged top dog in an elite bomb- and drug-sniffing squad.

"Asha" - meaning "hope" in Hindi - was rescued by West Bengal police when they found her being mistreated outside their training facility.

"The dog was bleeding when she was taken inside the campus," senior West Bengal Police Training Academy official Dipankar Bhattacharya told AFP.

Officers originally intended keeping the mixed-breed stray as a pet, but Asha turned out to have a nose every bit as good as the German Shepherds and Labradors usually trained to sniff out explosives and drugs.

Sajal Mondal, the head of the academy, said she passed the gruelling training with flying colours and that drugs and explosives like TNT were no match for Asha's keen sense of smell.

"She performed better than her pedigree peers, jumping nearly six feet (two metres) high and crossing hurdles," he said.

"She is also our fastest runner."

Asha is the first mixed-breed dog to join the 30-strong unit.

______________________________________________________________________end____

DENMARK RAISES FENCE ON GERMAN BORDER TO PREVENT SWINE FEVER

- GLOBAL NEWS

Denmark's 70-kilometre (45-mile) fence along the border with Germany to keep out infected wild boar is expected to be completed in the autumn.
INTERNATIONAL NEWS - In a bid to protect its pork industry, Denmark began building a fence Monday along its border with Germany to keep out wild boar infected with the African swine fever virus.

The 70-kilometre (45-mile) fence is a precautionary measure and expected to be completed in the autumn.

"The fence and our increased efforts to hunt wild boar will break the chain of infection so there is less risk of African swine fever spreading to Denmark," Environment and Food Minister Jakob Ellemann-Jensen said.

There are "11 billion good reasons to do everything we can to prevent African swine fever reaching Denmark," he added.

The virus is not harmful to humans but causes haemorrhagic fever in pigs and wild boar that almost always ends in death within days.

It was first spotted in Poland in 2014 when infected wild boar entered from neighbouring Belarus.

Belgium reported its first case in September near the borders with Luxembourg and France, prompting it to carry out a preventive pig slaughter and set up an exclusion zone.

No cases have been reported in Germany.

Denmark is one of Europe's main pork exporters, raising 28 million pigs per year across some 5,000 farms.

Pork accounts for five percent of Danish exports, or 30 billion kroner (four billion euros, $4.5 billion) in 2016.

In France, the army was in early January called in to help hunters cull thousands of wild boar near the Belgian border. A fence is also in the process of being raised.
________________________________________________________________end_______

A WHOLE NEW MEANING TO 'BUCKET SEAT'

- GLOBAL NEWS A whole new meaning to 'bucket seat'

The motorist behind the "steering wheel" of this deplorable-looking car was actually sitting on an upside down metal bucket and steering the vehicle with a pair of metal pliers.

MOTORING NEWS - Police caught a man in Norfolk, England, who was driving a battered car using a metal bucket as car seat and pliers for steering.

You might think that this guy was extremely unfortunate to get pulled over by cops, but you'd be wrong. What first caught the attention of police officers patrolling the streets of King's Lynn, was the battered state of the car this man was driving.

It had no front wing, bumper or headlights and to top it off, it also had a flat tyre. Hardly what you'd call a roadworthy vehicle, but this was nothing compared to what awaited the officers inside.

The motorist behind the "steering wheel" of this deplorable-looking car was actually sitting on an upside down metal bucket and steering the vehicle with a pair of metal pliers.

There was no revolutions counter or speedometer to speak of. In fact, the thing barely had any dashboard. But hey, it worked, so who needs that stuff anyway?

As you can imagine, the policemen were quite shocked by the sight, and while their subsequent social media post didn't specify what charges the driver faced, they did say that there were "too many offences to mention".

Police caught a man in Norfolk, England, who was driving a battered car using a metal bucket as car seat and pliers for steering.

Norfolk police tweeted photos of the car in its shocking state on Twitter, and they soon went viral, attracting all kinds of tongue-in-cheek comments. One person wrote that the car "gives a whole new meaning to the word bucket seat", while another called it "ingeniously unbelievable". Jon Parker, an officer from Norfolk police, called the battered vehicle "the most unroadworthy car I've ever seen".

There was no revolutions counter or speedometer to speak of. In fact, the thing barely had any dashboard.
__________________________________________________end___________

First | Previous | 1 234| Next | Last